Friday, May 10, 2013

Greek Yogurt for the Lactose-Sensitive

I'm not usually one to post photos of my meals. Usually I just want to eat them! And to be honest, plating presentation ain't my strong point. Nonetheless, here is my lunch:

Greek yogurt with blackberries, oat cereal, and honey

After many years of thinking that I detested yogurt (bolstered by the lactose thing), I recently discovered that I actually like Greek yogurt a lot. It's thick and creamy, doesn't have that sour taste I remember from childhood, and (in the first one of the brands I've tried, anyway) is a lot closer to eating ice cream than health food. But it has calcium! And protein! And actually doesn't bother my tummy. (Although I can't speak for all levels of lactose intolerance, here's some info about why Greek yogurt may not be as much of a problem as other dairy.)

So today when I was feeling peckish, I dumped some plain nonfat Greek yogurt into a bowl, added the last of the blackberries we had in the fridge, tossed in a handful of oat cereal for crunch, and drizzled it with blackberry honey. (Fancy! My sweetie picked some up at the market yesterday.) Easy, filling, nutritious. And now gone. Yum!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be civil to other commenters.