Thursday, November 14, 2013

Food This Week 19



I've resigned myself to exceeding this month's grocery budget, because the holiday sales are so good. For example, this past week I scored a free turkey, but had to make a $25 additional purchase. Specific flavors of Progresso and Chunky soup (which I grew up eating and like to have in the house) were only a dollar a can (down from $2.99), and frozen pumpkin pies were BOGO. I stretched a little. We're getting food that will keep and that we'll enjoy eating, at a good price, and we have the money, so it's worth it to me. Also, did you know that hams are really expensive? I'd never bought one before, but I've been pricing them out at several stores. It helps that I'm getting a 10% discount because I answered supermarket surveys with the info on my receipts. Still over budget.

Produce Box
My wife unpacked the box and neglected to snap a photo, so instead here's a picture of the pizza she made.

spinach pesto, mozzarella, fresh tomato, chicken

This week's box had 4 satsumas, 2 apples, wax beans, a tomato, a pomegranate, 2 types of carrots, and a whole bunch of fingerling potatoes. Yum!


Menu
Groceries:

  • cranberry sauce in a can
  • butter
  • chicken breasts BOGO
  • eggs
  • almond milk
  • canned tomatoes
  • pasta sauce
Friday: vegetable beef soup, fruit from work; Thanksgiving potluck - bring roasted carrots & potatoes / THAW CHICKEN BREAST
Saturday: grilled cheese, fruit; game hen, roasted carrots and potatoes, leftover wax beans
Sunday: chicken breast, baked potatoes, veggies; taco bowls, pomegranate
Monday: apple w/ PB, string cheese from work, leftover pomegranate; grilled cheese, oranges
Tuesday: tuna sandwiches, fruit; hot dogs, oven fries / THAW LENTILS
Wednesday:  [WORK LUNCH] / vegetable beef soup; lentils & rice, veggies
Thursday: leftover lunch or oatmeal & fruit; lentils & rice, kielbasa / THAW ONE TURKEY
Groceries:
  • sweet potatoes
  • fresh cranberries
  • sourdough bread
  • pasta shells
  • ricotta

Freezer
Added this week:
  • 2 whole turkeys
  • chicken pot pies
  • cherry-berry single-serving pie
  • 2 pumpkin pies
  • chopped spinach
  • mixed veggies
  • broccoli

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be civil to other commenters.