1) At the end of my internship, I will be able to create themed learning units and assign corresponding materials (out of an existing children's collection) for display and discussion.
2) At the end of my internship, I will be able to present to children and their caregivers age-appropriate materials in a manner that facilitates comprehension and engagement with the topics.
3) At the end of my internship, I will be able to develop a children's collection by evaluating and selecting appropriate titles for ages 4 to 14 in accordance with ALA/ALSC principles.
In order to learn these things, I'll be performing a number of tasks over the 10-week term, probably including most of the following:
- Understand, describe and discuss in detail the mission and objectives of GBL, at a level suitable for professional networking, media promotion, and fundraising.
- Design a cataloging scheme suitable for a small and rapidly growing children’s collection serving the local public.
- Create an online database to provide library staff access to the titles in the collection and their relevant details.
- Plan themes for the weekly reading room displays and assign corresponding materials out of the existing collection.
- Read aloud at storytime and make reader's advisory recommendations to children and caregivers.
- Research the core themes of GBL, evaluate and select appropriate titles to add to the Amazon wishlist, and publicize the need for these specific contributions through social media.
- Update and modify the GBL blog and other social media to promote current activities and achievements and to strengthen the GBL online brand. (If I do this, I'll be collaborating with another volunteer.)