William’s Doll by Charlotte Zolotow
- Why did William’s brother make fun of him? How do you think William felt?
- Why do you think William’s dad didn’t want to get him a doll?
- What are some games and toys that both boys and girls can play with?
And Tango Makes Three by Justin Richardson and Peter Parnell
- What’s your favorite animal at the zoo? Do you know how it makes a family?
- How do penguins take care of their eggs differently than other birds?
- What are some of the different ways that humans make families?
Paper Bag Princess by Robert Munsch
- What makes a princess? Does it matter what a princess wears?
- If Ronald and Elizabeth switched places, how do you think Ronald would’ve handled the dragon?
- What do you think about Elizabeth's choice at the end of the book?
Wilfred Gordon McDonald Partridge by Mem Fox
- What’s an "old people’s home"?
- What kinds of older people do you know? What do you do when you’re with them?
- What’s a memory?
- If you could pick one memory to keep forever, what would it be and why?
In Our Mothers' House by Patricia Polacco
- What are some of the things your parents do for work?
- What are some of your favorite holidays to celebrate with your family? What do you do?
- Why do some of the neighbors not like Marmee and Meema?
Ben Has Something to Say by Laurie Lears
- What does it mean to stutter? *ask this before starting the book!*
- Why does Ben feel reluctant to talk at school? What would be different about your schoolday if you didn’t talk to anyone?
- Why did Ben finally talk to Mr. Wayne?
The Widow’s Broom by Chris Van Allsburg
- What would you do if you found someone lying in your vegetable garden?
- What would you do if you had a broom that swept all by itself? What do you think you could teach it?
- Why were Minna’s neighbors upset about the broom?
Just Kidding by Trudy Ludwig
- How could you tell that Vince’s teasing bothered DJ? Do you think the other kids around them noticed?
- When Vince said, “Just kidding”, did you believe him? Why or why not?
- What could you do if you had a problem with teasing? Who can help you?
Tight Times by Barbara Shook Hazen
- What happens when a family faces hardships and tough times together?
- Why is the father upset when he comes home? What kind of feelings does he have?
- How would you feel and what would you do if you saw your mom or dad crying?
Simon’s Hook by Karen Gedig Burnett
- How do you feel when someone teases you?
- If you’re not sure what to do, is there someone you know and could trust to ask?
(plus responses to questions in the book)
Train to Somewhere by Eve Bunting
- Have you ever thought what would happen if you couldn’t live with your parents? Where would you go? Who would take care of you?
- Why does Marianne change her mind about waiting for her mother?
- What do you think will happen to the other children on the train? Will they get along with their new families?
- Can you give me an example of “sometimes what you get turns out to be better than what you wanted in the first place”?